Corinne Bailey Rae – The Love Reviews

Based on 1 critics - Overal Score:  70/ 100

Description: Following on the heels of her recent digital single "Is This Love," GRAMMY_winning artist Corinne Bailey Rae will release The Love EP on January 25th, 2011, on Capitol Records. The Love EP is a 5-track collection of covers that Bailey Rae calls an "homage to some of my favorite musicians, as well as a conversation between some of my musical influences."

Critic Reviews

Critic Rating
SoulCulture 3.5 out of 5


The Love EP opens with a cover of Prince's "I Wanna Be Your Lover" - one of Bailey Rae's favorite songs by the legendary artist. "I met Prince in London at his show at the O2 Arena," she says. "I was amazed by the gig but even more impressed by the aftershow he did in a small venue where he tore it up on the guitar. I love singing rhythmical music but never seem to write anything like that so getting to do this song was a dream." Next up is "Low Red Moon," written by former Throwing Muses/Breeders singer Tanya Donelly for her band Belly. "Belly were one of the prime influences on my band Helen," Bailey Rae says. "I was addicted to their song 'Star' as a teenager and learnt loads about guitar playing from listening to them. We have made the song, in my opinion, more aggressive and slightly '60s science fiction." "Low Red Moon" is followed by Bailey Rae's unique take on the 1978 Bob Marley classic "Is This Love," which cruised up the Urban AC radio chart this fall. "Bob Marley is an incredible songwriter and this is one of my favorites," Bailey Rae says. "I wanted to bring the tempo back to underline the poignancy of the lyric. Marley's music is so influenced by American doo-wop, so I loved that guitarist John McCallum gave it this Hendrixy/Curtis Mayfield sound, two musicians who also brought doo-wop into their own sound." Bailey Rae also chose to cover "My Love," a No. 1 hit by Paul McCartney & Wings. "I first heard 'My Love' at an event for Paul McCartney at the White House, where I had been invited to play," Bailey Rae says. "A string section played the song and I was struck by the fragility of that ascending melody on the lyric 'My love does it good.' I was also really touched by Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney's relationship. When we recorded this track, it was definitely influenced by Stevie's sound."

Details:
Genre(s): R&B, pop, neo soul

0 comments:

Post a Comment