David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

As it turns out the answer is either: 'yes, I do like the songs that aren't hits' or 'every song on this album is a hit'. Whichever one it is, this definately won't be the last David Bowie album I buy.

When I put it into my CD player and listened to it all the way through for the first time I couldn't help smiling and thinking how silly I was to doubt the judgement of the three or four generations preceeding me, who have praised this album as a masterpiece.

There really isn't any word more fitting than 'masterpiece'. Every song is excellant and the concept of the album is brilliant but not overly enforced, meaning you don't have to get swept up in the 'story' of The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars in order to enjoy the album.

It's all delivered with glamour and cool, a blend of piano ballads and rock and roll that have what I suppose could be called 'timeless melodies'.

Standout tracks are all of them but especially Starman, Lady Stardust and Suffragette City.

I'm way out of my league in terms of music on Collective, even so, this is addressed to anyone who's just slightly tempted by this album.

0 comments:

Post a Comment