Kid Rock - Rebel Soul Review (Hard Rock)

So, two years after his Rick Rubin produced album "Born Free", Kid Rock is back with his new album "Rebel Soul." This time though things are different, there's no big name producer on board (Kid Rock produced this one himself) and things got a little less serious. I am going to review the album track-by-track based on several listening from start to finish.

Track #1 "Chickens In The Pen": This is great way to start the album and sets the tone for what's to come. The song is upbeat, melodic and makes you want to get up and dance. A great fun rock n roll song to kick start the album.
My rating: 8.5 /10

Track #2 "Let's Ride": This is Kid Rock's anthem for the troops and first single from the album. I've listened to this song countless times over the past couple of months, and I like it. The guitar work on this song is awesome and is definitely a song you can rock out to. One of the more serious songs on the album.
My rating: 8 /10

Track #3 "3 CATT Boogie": When this song kicks in it has an incredible groove that just makes you want to dance. It's impossible to play this song all the way through without shaking your hips to it, it's the perfect party song. Kid Rock's voice sounds great on this also. A really fun song that was instantly one of my favorites on the record.
My rating: 9 /10

Track #4 "Detroit, Michigan": Kid Rock has always given shout-outs to Detroit on his past records, however on "Rebel Soul" he goes one step further and dedicates a song to his hometown. On this song Kid Rock gives props to many legends that the Motor City has produced including Marvin Gaye, The Supremes and Eminem. This song is full of soul but a little too cheesy for me and probably the weakest song on the album.
My rating: 7 /10

Track #5 "Rebel Soul": Not really got a lot to say about the title track, but definitely one of my favorites on the album. I'm a big fan of the lyrics of this song and find myself singing along to them.
My rating: 9 /10

Track #6 "God Save Rock N Roll": Kid Rock has said that this is the song he will play when he is inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. It's a foot-tapping country rocker. Solid song.
My rating: 8 /10

Track #7 "Happy New Year": This is Kid Rock's third cover of a John Eddie a song and definitely my favorite of the 3 (the other 2 being "Lowlife" and "Forty"). A great pick-up song that I can imagine being played in bars across the country during the Christmas/New Year season.
My rating: 8.5 /10

Track #8 "Celebrate": This one is a flat out rock n roll song. I really like how the song breaks down in the middle and then comes back with some awesome guitar. It's a decent track but I'd say one of the weaker songs on the album.
My rating: 7.5 /10

Track #9 "The Mirror": This one is a really dark ballad that builds up gradually throughout the song. The verses feature pretty heavy autotune and echo effects. Very different to anything Kid Rock has ever done before, one of the stand-outs on the record.
My rating: 9 /10

Track #10 "Mr Rock N Roll": As you may gather from the title of the track this one is a rock `n' roll song. It's the longest track on the album at 6 mins 37 secs, part of the reason for this is the minute and half section in the middle where the song changes completely and goes very country before returning to rock n roll. A really good rock n roller!
My rating: 8 /10

Track #11 "Cucci Galore": This is a song Kid Rock has had lying around for a while and certainly wouldn't have fit on "Born Free", however the song is right at home on this record. Kid Rock describes this song as "1998 Kid Rock" which is a pretty fair description as it is much more reminiscent of early Kid Rock rather than his work as of late. This title is a play on words of the character "Pussy Galore" from the James Bond film "Goldfinger" and I have the feeling this song may just surpass "So Hott" as the Kid Rock song most suited for strip clubs. "Cucci Galore" is pretty good but not my favorite on the record. I know a lot of fans with LOVE this one though.
My rating: 8 /10

Track #12 "Redneck Paradise": Fans of Kid Rock will most likely have heard the story behind this song, how the Young Brothers, Eric & Jason, wrote the song and then sent their demo to Kid Rock suspended inside a railroad freight box they had built themselves out of $200 timber which they had invested all of their final pay check it. The plan worked and 5 years after writing the song here it is on "Rebel Soul". Kid Rock kept everything from the Young Brothers version of the song and added to it, making it his own. The end product is an awesome country song with an infectious chorus that will no doubt be the anthem of the annual Kid Rock Cruise for years to come. I can see potential in this song possibly being a hit on country radio.
My rating: 9 /10

Track #13 "Cocaine & Gin": This song is a slow country ballad. It's alright, nothing special though.
My rating: 7.5 /10

Track #14 "Midnight Ferry": Kid Rock has said this is the song he would want played at his funeral although it is actually pretty upbeat. The song features gospel undertones and some bluesy guitar. Really good song, one of my favourites on the record and a great way to bring the album to a close.
My rating: 9 /10

Overall I would say I was blown away by this album. Kid Rock got back to having fun on this record and it's a formula that works perfectly for him. Kid Rock has a reputation for making records that cross many genres and boundaries and this one is no different, there are songs on this album to keep every type of Kid Rock fan happy. Some fans may be disappointed that there is no rap on this album, however it is no longer 1998, Kid Rock has moved on and matured as an artist. As for where this ranks compared to the rest of Kid Rock's catalog, I would say it's up there with his best. Make no mistake people, especially those that doubted him after "Born Free", Kid Rock is back!

Verdict: 85/100
Similar Music
Aerosmith - Get A Grip

0 comments:

Post a Comment